The Georgia Southern football team returns to action this Thursday when it returns to Alabama to take on South Alabama in conference action. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. local time (6:30 p.m. Eastern) and will be broadcast nationwide on ESPNU. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s all you need to know about the game:
Game 7: Thursday, Oct. 14, 2021 • 6:30 PM (CT)/ 7:30 PM (ET)
Location: Mobile, Ala. (Hancock Whitney Stadium; 25,450)
South Alabama: 3-2, 0-2 SBC
Georgia Southern: 2-4, 1-2 SBC
PBP: Drew Carter; Analyst: Mark Herzlich
GS: GAME NOTES (PDF)
Inside The Series
Overall: Twenty-first Meeting (Troy leads, 13-7) • 4-7 Home; 3-6 Away
Current Streak: GS, Won 1
Last Meeting: 2020, GS won 20-13 – Allen E. Paulson Stadium | Statesboro, Ga.
- Georgia Southern leads the series with South Alabama 7-0 after downing the Jaguars last season 24-17 in Statesboro on a Thursday night. In the seven previous games between the two squads, GS has outscored South Alabama by a combined 251-79 (35.9-11.3) with South Alabama having yet to top the 20-point mark against the Eagles. The Jaguars have only scored eight touchdowns in the series.
- In the seven previous contests, the Eagles have run for 2,339 yards on 387 carries (334.1 YPG) against USA. Twenty-seven of the 32 Eagle touchdowns have come on the ground, as well.
- Georgia Southern is 10-5 all-time in games played on Thursdays, 5-2 at home and 5-3 on the road.
- Georgia Southern is 7-4 all-time on short rest (less than seven days). The Eagles played last night Saturday at Troy, returned home after 5 a.m. on Sunday morning from a six-hour, 340-mile bus ride only to fly back to Mobile Wednesday afternoon.
Countdown to Kickoff
- 10: Georgia Southern has won 10 of its 15 games all-time played on Thursday, including its past five (Texas State and App State in 2018; South Alabama and App State in 2019; and South Alabama last year).
- 9: The Eagles have nine second quarter scores this season: six via the run, two via field goals and one via pass. The 57 points scored in the second quarter are the most of any quarter for Georgia Southern.
- 8: Georgia Southern has allowed just eight total touchdowns in seven games against South Alabama.
- 7: Southern has won seven of its 11 games all-time played on short rest (less than seven days).
- 6: The Eagles feature six players on their roster from the state of Alabama, including starting receiver Emil Smith (Attalla) and starting linebacker Michael Edwards III (Trussville).
- 5: All but five of Georgia Southern’s 32 touchdowns in the previous six contests against South Alabama have come via the ground.
- 4: The last time the two played in Mobile (2019), South Alabama mustered just four first downs against the Eagles. That total is the lowest allowed in program history.
- 3: This will be the third-straight Thursday night game between the two programs.
- 2: After having two more punts downed inside the 20-yard line last week against Troy, punter Anthony Beck II has had 12 punts downed inside the 20-yard line this season.
- 1: This will be Georgia Southern’s first game played in Hancock Whitney Stadium, the new home of the Jaguars. The Eagles won all three games against the Jaguars and won the 2015 GoDaddy Bowl against Bowling Green in USA’s former home, Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile.
Oct. 30 vs. Georgia State – Statesboro, Ga. – 6 PM – ESPN+